Saturday, June 7, 2008

Monkeys Everywhere!

I'm in a sock monkey kick right now. The retro little creatures are hot again and I'm totally taken by them! I even stumbled upon the fantastic Etsy seller, BrightsIdea, who is selling adorable authentic (and updated) sock monkeys. I can't wait to purchase a "baby safe" sock monkey!

Check out my chronology of products I've created along with ones that are currently available!

About a year or so ago, Moda fabrics came out with their first adorable sock monkey line, "5 Funky Monkeys" by Erin Michaels. I loved the line, the retro styling along with endless possibilities for baby items (and the line was available in flannel too!), led me to purchase many pieces from the line. Not long after 5 Funky Monkeys, Moda released "Monkey N round", which focused on the fun the mischievous monkeys have, along with incorporating more pastel colors. With these two lines, I created many projects...

Ah, a favorite, the first Minkee/Flannel Baby Blanket - and it went to a good friend who is now looking for a duplicate in case her little one loses the original.

A diaper-mini tote.
Holds a few diapers and wipes, ideal for quick trips and easy to toss in any bag.

Another diaper mini-tote. I created lots of these in many colors...they were a popular item. (And it's interesting noting how much my photography has improved since the early days).

The Sock Monkey ribbon play ball. The ball itself is my most popular item, so I love to create it in many themes. Sock Monkeys were very popular. And I'll soon be creating a new theme ball with the latest sock monkey fabric line.

Sock Monkey ribbon play ball - Version 2.0. I had to create more of these for some custom orders, and so the ribbon colors and fabrics were changed a little bit. I can't wait to use the Malibu Monkeys line for a new ball!

One of my favorite items, the Binky Bag. It holds about 3 pacifiers, and features a snap on one side of the strap. It makes the pacifiers easily accessible (since many of us can relate to the mad binky search when baby is crying). I made these in many colors too.

Another fun Minkee/Flannel blanket - I've been making lots of these as they are popular items. I tend to only make one or two in each style though and then move on.

Classic red monkeys.

Making a bib and burp cloth set. I love these since personally, I'm ALWAYS needing bibs and burp cloths for my spitty little one ;)

Pairing retro monkeys with another hot trend - pink and chocolate. This is one of my favorite items (I would have kept it if I'd had a girl!)

Again, using the beautiful pastel pieces from the "Monkey N round" line to create more blankets.

Another favorite blanket of mine - and this one is still available in my shop!
The piece that revived my sock monkey obsession. I wanted to make a fun onesie to coordinate with some pants I'd made for my little Small Fry. So, using my love of applique, I created this adorable design. It is quickly becoming a popular item in my shop - and is available now!

So naturally when I had the onesie, I wanted to create lots of coordinating pants.
All of the styles below are available in my shop (in 6-12 month size) and are available to be made in custom sizes too (from 0-3 months to 3T).



And last, but certainly NOT least - my favorite, a sock monkey theme "tummy time" quilt. It's just the right size for a baby to roll around on and then tuck into a diaper bag and tote along. And it is available in my shop ;)
So, the sock monkeys are in full swing in my studio...and I'll soon be creating lots of items with pieces from the new Malibu Monkeys line and adding in lots of other pieces from the other two lines. Enjoy!

No comments: