Saturday, July 19, 2008

Cloth Diapering - I'm doing it!

I think a little bit of me always wanted to do cloth diapers, but with the options nowadays, I was completely overwhelmed with everything and just ended up doing disposables. The bug to do it was always in the back of my mind though, I figured one day I'd still check it out.

I don't know what sparked it, I think a combination of discussions on a few of the "mom's" message boards that I participate in and the constant sticker shock every time we go to Costco to buy diapers (it's a $100 trip every six weeks for 2 giant boxes of diapers and wipes).

So, with my 29-month old who is not at all interested in potty training, and my 6-month old, I decided to take the plunge. A friend who is a cloth diaper guru spent a Friday morning teaching me everything I'd need to know. Everything from all types of diapers available, what materials they're made of, how to wash the diapers, what brands are good, what you carry them in, where you store the dirty ones, etc. It was as overwhelming as I imagined, but I left her house armed with loads of info and a PLAN, actual knowledge of what I wanted to get.

I bought 24 diapers, Fuzzi Bunz, the coziest things you can imagine. I waited the whole week for them to get here, in the meantime, making cloth wipes and talking to hubby about how it was all going to work. Thankfully, he's totally on board with it all, so it was an easy transition.

My diapers arrived on Friday night, and like a kid at Christmas (seriously), I opened the box and checked out all of the diapers - tried them on the boys and finally got them in the wash.

No comments: