Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Felt Projects

Happy 2011!  I'm ready for this year.  It will be the first year since 2005 that I won't be pregnant or having a baby, and I plan to make the most of it.  December's goal of interacting more one-on-one with the kids was mostly successful.  I'll write more about it soon, but in the meantime, I had to share some of the felt projects I made recently.

I LOVE felt toys.  Last Christmas, I made a slew of play food for the boys, which they loved.  And I had fun making it.  I think there are some great patterns on Etsy, and I've bought nearly every one of my patterns from BuggaBugs and Gulf Coast Cottage.

The older boys are really into taking care of Split Pea (they want to watch me give his growth hormone shot and test his blood sugar every night), so when I saw this pattern I knew I had to make it.  A doctor's kit!

It was really easy to make, great instructions and everything went together really fast.  And the boys knew just what to do with it when they opened it on Christmas morning:


While I don't have a girl (yet), I still drool over all the cute things intended for girls.  I saw this dollhouse on BuggaBugs' Etsy site a while back, and while my boys have liked playing with dolls in the past, right now everything is about comic book heroes, Star Wars, Batman, and so on.  Soo, I decided to make the dollhouse for my niece's 3rd birthday.  It would make a cute gift and satisfy my desire to make it.

BuggaBugs has GREAT patterns.  There are color pictures for nearly every step, lots of detailed instructions and full size pattern pieces.  I think I have at least 10 patterns from her shop.  The dollhouse was lots of work, but I think it seemed like more because I crammed it into only a week (on top of making things for my own Etsy shop!).  But it turned out really great, and I can't wait for my niece to open it for her birthday (this weekend). 

Here's how the dollhouse turned out:

It was nice to make some stuff as gifts for a change.  I've satisfied my need to do hand sewing and make felt stuff and today dove back into working on diapers.  I'm excited to get them all finished and photographed this week so I can finally get them up for sale.

I've sat for too long, the older two are downstairs plotting mischievous activities, Split Pea needs a diaper change, and the dinner hour is fast approaching.  I'm almost off the mommy clock and can soon head back to my studio!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

That is very awesome!!! I can't believe the detail...the faucet on the sink!!!

I've been hoping to find an EF doctor kit for my son. Might have to check this out.